Saturday, June 7, 2008

I Should Have Been Born in..

Do you ever wonder what time period you should have been born in? I mean, we all might of been better off in the Rubenesque Period when women were adored for their curves but strictly speaking I've never been that fond of laying around naked on a chaise. The Regency Period may have been interesting, women were getting a little more independent, but then there was all that frocking going on. One frock for morning, another frock for luncheon, a different frock for walking than riding through the park sidesaddle, a 'gentlemen might be calling' frock, a frock for night time entertaining, fancy ball frocks, meeting the king frocks, ugh, too many frocks, and whale bone stays, and chemises and pantaloons-or worse, no pantaloons. Let's think on that one. The Medieval Period could have been nice, you probably only owned one frock, but you had to drink beer or wine at every meal. I don't think there was a choice between red or white and I'm pretty sure all the beer was domestic. And you never knew when a bard might show up and hang around for a season, then share all your business around the kingdom in the form of poetry or song. Had I been born in that time I've no doubt I would have been the person to invent the chamber pot because I won't even walk the fifteen feet to my mailbox in the rain, I'm sure not hauling my fanny to the outhouse, down stone cold steps, over the moat and around the dog pens in the snow. I live in the outback and I'll admit to piddling behind a rock or two but I draw the line at visiting any port-a-loos. Unless, of course, I would have been the person in charge of emptying the chamber pots, then I might have to rethink that. There's always those crazy Romans, conquering the world, could've lived just about anywhere you fancied and they were clean at least. Might have found yourself the prize of one of those big strapping gladiators, it has some appeal and togas could hide a multitude of sins if you had been overly fond of the baklava, but well, the Roman Empire, we all know how that ends. Maybe the 1950's were the way to go. After the invention of the Hoover but before the Internet. You could have worn pearls and high heels while you baked after-school cookies. Just enough technology to make your life easy but not so much your kids had one up on you. Oh, they all have their appeal, which would you choose?

L,
Ed

4 comments:

ScrappyTams said...

I had to come back and leave a comment. I love getting comments...I have only gotten - 4. And thanks for you stunning wit and personality. I LOVE it! Which is why you are on my list of favorite cool people!

Tambur - or T.

Rowena said...

I am pretty certain that "my time" hasn't come yet. Or maybe it is here ... just waiting for me to make it "my time". Could this be The Top-Heavy Semi-Blonde Gluten-free age? That would be grand! I'd never want to sacrifice my loos, running water, or jeans. I don't think I'd like help bathing or dressing. Don't want to hand my young'uns over to a governess or send them off to Eton. Don't want a floor covered in rushes and dog wee wee or have to drink mead. Don't want to serve mastodon for dinner or use moss instead of pantyliners. Yep, think I will be calling this The Top-Heavy Semi-Blonde Gluten-free age.

Edwina said...

Oh Ro,
You do make a valid point. I hadn't even considered the moss situation.

Ed

Rowena said...

Yeah. Heaven only knows what else has been used besides moss. Bleh. Other things I am considering when choosing a favorite time is whether or not dogs had been domesticated or refrigerators had been invented ... or M&Ms. Wow. That limits me even more. Especially if I say M&Ms with almonds.