Tuesday, July 1, 2008

-Ate Words I Hate

I find certain word families offensive, is that allowed? It's probably not politically correct, holding an entire word family responsible for a few bad apples, but, much like the "Cooking Code Words" of my friend, certain word families make me cringe. The -ate words come to mind first.

Aggravate-What one child does to another forcing the parent into time-outs. At one minute per year of age, I'm now up to a pretty refreshing nap now.

Dominate-Let's not.

Assimilate-Okay, this one reminds me of Star Trek-the Next Generation episodes with those people from Hell Raisers in them.

Penetrate-Self explanatory and the real reason I'll never write a romance novel.

Imitate-No good has ever come from this.

Irrigate-In my experience, always involves wounds, iodine and my cat Ginger after a night out.

Elevate-At least it's not broken...

Castigate-Even sounds painful.

Delegate-To keep passing all the yucky work off until it gets to the person at the end of the line, that would be me.

Obligate-Involves a marker that may be called in at anytime, usually procured when someone has your kids for a sleepover. Two sleepovers without a return invite will result in a state of '"obligation" which is to be avoided at all costs.

Irritate-See aggravate.

Mediate-A Skill forced on parents while driving 70 mph down the highway.

Emulate-See imitate.

Estimate-Okay, maybe I'll let this one pass. After all, it does allow you to put your "ideal" weight on your DL without technically committing fraud.

L,
Edwi

4 comments:

Rowena said...

Ed,
this made my heart palpitate!

Ro

Edwina said...

Ro,
I find it hard to contemplate that I hate "-ate" would percipitate a palpitate. I hope your unfortunate palpitate does not perpetuate.

E

Rowena said...

Ed-
Thank you, but ....
Too late to create an anti-palpitiate initiate! Though I don't mean to sound ingrate ... just too much on my plate to to discriminate!

L8er L8er Palpit8er!
Rowena

Edwina said...

R-
Of late I find I hesitate to ominate that which should emanate without much imaginate. Ain't that great?

This could go on forever...

Ed-