Friday, May 30, 2008

"Well,that's what you look like."

Down the hallway, in the living room, on walls, under glass, live my childhood and that of my siblings. Horrible gap toothed grins, home hair cuts, and scraped noses and chins tell the sad and humiliating story. I block it out for most of the year but at some point, we all must go home and there they are. A chronological exhibit of bad fashion, big hair and periwinkle eye shadow, thirteen years of abuse of the most heinous kind, the school picture. On display are bell bottomed polyester pant suits, yellow hush puppy sweaters, yoked jeans, school band uniforms, curly bobs, electric blue mascara, turned-up collars, t-shirts over oxfords, pin stripes and Member's Only jackets. Why? Why? I ask myself. Because parents only see the best in their children? Because no matter how ridiculously high your bangs are or how much blusher you've caked on your cheeks, they are proud? A sign of the unconditional love of a parent for their child. I smile. "Mom, why do you still keep all these horrid pictures up after all these years?" Mom just looks around, "Well," She says "I'm sorry, but that's what you looked like."

2 comments:

Rowena said...

Edwina,
A friend ran across an old photo of herself taken as she prepared to leave for the mall. As I recall she was wearing an outfit from the Desperately Seeking Susan phase of Madonna-ism. Alarmed she asked her mom why she even let her dress like that. To which her mom replied, "But, Honey, you thought you looked good!". Now, ain't that sweet?
L,
Rowena

mom2three said...

I never knew my hair could be so big! In the 80's, the bigger the hair, the cooler it was. Oh, and don't get me started on the make-up and mini skirts. I keep thinking if I give my mom enough pics of my family, the torture will end and she'll cover the old with the new but no, she just adds to them. Oh well, fashion is cruel.